This self-paced e-learning module was created for all health care providers on the “front lines” who treat children for a variety of illnesses and injuries. The Physical Abuse Series will help you and your entire team know “when to worry, and what to do.”
The organization of the Physical Abuse Series: Core Framework module parallels the clinical presentation, progressing from broad categories of presenting complaints that may encompass abuse (recognition of “red flags”), to responding with discerning questions that determine next steps, conducting an age- and injury-specific evaluation including diagnostic tests, documenting the findings, and analyzing the facts to determine the likelihood of abuse, as well as the need for reporting, and additional steps that could further clarify the diagnosis.
Continuously updated and based on the best available evidence, the Physical Abuse Series is comprised of this Core Framework and a set of plug-ins. Each additional plug-in module provides in-depth information based on the injury type (e.g., Mimics, Sentinel Injuries, Fractures, Abusive Head Trauma). This configuration makes the series equally accessible for training, reference, and clinical decision support.
Interactive and engaging clinical vignettes are presented throughout the Physical Abuse Series to reinforce clinical relevance and applicability of the learning concepts. More than a one-and-done training, it is a resource you’ll come back to over and over again.
- Develop an evaluation plan based on the child’s injury, age, and clinical presentation.
- Recognize skin, intracranial, intraabdominal, intra-oral, and bone findings and injuries that are concerning for abusive trauma.
- Recognize clinical presentations that are concerning for supervision, medical or physical neglect.
- Recognize mimics of child maltreatment.
- Document medical assessments to include the likelihood of child maltreatment.
Developed in partnership with:
- 4 ANCC Credits
- 4 AMA PRA Category 1™ Credits
Physical Abuse Series: Core Framework
Table of Contents